I CAN’T GET OVER IT
A Traumatic Life Event is any deeply distressing or disturbing experience or situation that is emotionally overwhelming and leaves us feeling powerless and unable to cope. Most people experience one or more traumatic events in their life time. You may be a victim of or witness to a car accident or violent crime.
You may have been bullied as a child or teen or physically or sexually molested. You may have suffered significant rejection or abandonment. A simply way to identify if you are dealing with the after effects of trauma is to realize that despite your best efforts you simply can’t get over it. Many people have post-traumatic stress, or anxiety, but may not be diagnosed with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder.
SYMPTOMS THAT INDICATE YOU MAY HAVE BEEN AFFECTED BY A TRAUMA
- Nightmares or night terrors
- You react with anger or fear in situations that consciously or unconsciously remind you of the event
- You avoid people or places that could remind you of the traumatic event
- You avoid talking about the traumatic event
- Difficulty relaxing or sleeping
- Someone has told you you’ve changed since the traumatic event
- Increased use of alcohol, drugs or food since the event
- Hypervigilance – you realize you are always on guard
- Irritability or angry outbursts
- Anxiety, worry or fear or panic attacks
“Cheryl helped open my eyes to my life and now I can actually live it, not just walk through it. I have strength in who I am. I wake up and I feel I can breath. It’s been a rough road, but one I am very glad I have Cheryl to walk beside me through it.” – Samantha, Trauma survivor
Trauma activates our “fight or flight” response putting our mind and body on high alert. In a recent trauma this may result in many of the symptoms listed. If the trauma happened in our childhood we can still exhibit many of these symptoms but we have difficulty identifying them because they have become familiar.
CALMING YOUR BODY AND BRAIN
Whether our “fight or flight” response was triggered 30 years ago or just last week there are ways to restore calm and balance to our mind and body. Experiencing trauma can change our view of the world. Things might not seem as safe and predictable as they once were but there is still a lot of good in the world. You can enjoy life again!
Contact me for a free 15 minute phone consultation to discuss how I can help