SUFFERING FROM DEPRESSION AND CAN’T FIND A WAY OUT?
Unless you have been there, it’s hard for people to understand. Depression isn’t just about feeling sad. For some, depression is when you can’t feel hope or see a way out of your problems, leaving you in true despair. It effects your relationships, work and physical health.
Unfortunately the stigma around depression can create its own fear of being judged as weak if you seek help. But in today’s times, the honesty reality is that people of all ages, rich and poor struggle with depression. Many people are concerned that being treated for Depression may mean lifelong dependence on medication.
Medication can be helpful but most people with mild or moderate levels of depression respond well to psychological counselling. (Depression is one part of Bipolar Disorder. Counselling tools for depression are equally helpful for Bipolar Disorder).
“Cheryl helped me unpack my suitcase full of issues. I was suffering from severe depression and one by one we addressed the issues that were impacting my life negatively. She helped me see things much more clearly and was not averse to telling me that I needed to see my family doctor to address the medical side of my depression.” – Wanda, Experiencing freedom from depression
SYMPTOMS OF DEPRESSION
These symptoms are characteristic of depression if they occur every day for at least 2 weeks and are not related to a recent loss or trauma. If you have 5 or more of the following symptoms, you may have Depression requiring treatment.
- Persistent sad, anxious or “empty” or flat mood most of the time most days
- Procrastination, since simple tasks seem harder
- Feelings of hopelessness, pessimism and low esteem
- Feelings of guilt, worthlessness, helplessness
- Loss of interest or pleasure in hobbies and activities that were once enjoyed, including sex
- Insomnia, early-morning awakening or oversleeping
- Loss of appetite and/or weight loss or overeating and weight gain
- Decreased energy, fatigue, feeling “slowed down” or agitation that can’t be controlled
- A sense of wanting to hide from the world and everyone in it
- Thoughts of “life isn’t worth living” death or suicide or previous suicide attempts
- Restlessness, irritability, bad temper, never relaxed or content
- Difficulty concentrating, remembering and making decisions due to persistent, uncontrollable cluttering of down, sad, negative thoughts that can’t be kept out of the mind
- Social isolation or withdrawal due to increasing difficulty making small talk
- Persistent physical symptoms that do not respond to treatment such as headaches, chronic pain or digestive issues
WHO IS AFFECTED?
(from the Canadian Mental Health Association webpage)
- Mental illness indirectly affects all Canadians at some time through a family member, friend or colleague.
- 20% of Canadians will personally experience a mental illness in their lifetime.
- Mental illness affects people of all ages, educational and income levels, and cultures.
- Approximately 8% of adults will experience major depression at some time in their lives.
- About 1% of Canadians will experience bipolar disorder (or “manic depression”).
CAN I HAVE HOPE AND PEACE AGAIN?
YES YOU CAN! Find your way out of the darkness of depression to the light. In our initial session we will assess some of the root factors that may be contributing to depression. These can included difficult childhood or adolescent experiences, current disappointments or trauma and long-term unhelpful thinking patterns.
When life hurts we often develop negative thinking patterns that can be effectively treated with psychotherapy. Sometimes depression lingers at a low level due to unresolved psychological issues such as grief and loss. Disappointments over time can leave us feeling powerless and depressed. We will work together to examine and treat the root issues so that you can be content in your life again.
“My recovery from manic depression has been an evolution, not a sudden miracle.” – Patty Duke
As we work together you will begin to notice the burden and darkness of depression shift, like when the sun starts to break through the grey clouds and we can see clearly again. This step by step shift brings a renewed sense of sight, relief and a progressive experience of happiness and ease around everyday things.
Live is waiting for you and the time is now to make those critical steps towards the thing that truly matter to you in your world. Step into the joy of your life!
Contact me for a free 15 minute phone consultation to discuss how I can help