When I was 31 years old I hit a wall. Not a physical wall, but it felt that way. Outwardly successful I was inwardly struggling with depression, anxiety and shame. I had thought if I just tried harder and did the right things my life would become what I had hoped it would be. But things didn’t change. And I must admit it was with some reluctance and fear that I contacted a counsellor.
In hindsight I wished I had called sooner! I had no idea that the things I struggled with were common experiences of adults who experience emotional injuries in their lives. With each session I began to untangle the web of pain that had kept me bound for many years. My counsellor acknowledged my strengths and gently directed me in discovering, and resolving the pain in my past.
“I was walking in a straight line, with my eyes dead ahead…not living my life for me, but always for someone else and sometimes not at all. Now I have been learning to live it for me, arms open…with an open heart and an open mind. I cannot express my gratitude for Cheryl’s words and wisdom through my last year and a half of counselling with her. She has brought the best in me back to life.” – Samantha, Survivor of Childhood Trauma
HOW I CAN HELP
Years later I began counselling training and now, with 20 years of counselling experience, I have helped hundreds of individuals address present frustrations and disappointments, compassionately uncover emotional injuries and use their strengths to build a hope filled future. I believe in a collaborative counselling approach; you and I work together to find real solutions for the struggles you face in your life.
“Cheryl is a compassionate woman with an ability to listen, hear between the words and get to the heart of the matter quickly.” – Alex, Lives with a mood disorder
PROFESSIONAL CREDENTIALS AND EDUCATION
- Master Practitioner of Clinical Counselling (2015), Registered Professional Counsellor, 2010 to present with the Canadian Professional Counsellors Association (cpca-rpc.ca) where I currently service as Alberta Director for our National Board.
- Master of Divinity, 1995, Taylor Seminary, Edmonton, Alberta
- Founded and operated a faith-based counselling centre, The Mars Hill Centre, from 1995-2010 providing individual counselling and recovery groups
- Speaker and author on mental health and trauma issues
A sampling of my continuing education studies:
- The Wounded Heart seminar for adult survivors of child sexual abuse
- Tools for Trauma: A Cognitive Behavioral Approach
- Trauma-Strategies for Resolving the impact of Post-Traumatic Stress
- Anger Management
- Enrich Canada – Pre-marriage Counselling
- Advanced Emotional Brain Training
- Building Resilience
- Death, Grief and Mourning
- Domestic Violence